Tuesday 11 July 2017

MY LIST OF HUNDRED DREAMS

After several months of planning my trip to Spain and Portugal, the time has finally come. Bags packed, passport dusted and me counting down the hours to my exciting sojourn.

Dreams do come true if you believe in the stars and if you stay focused on your goals.  We all have a bucket list that would take us to exotic destinations, faraway places, and unique experiences. I have spent many a day perched in the South African winter sun, dunking Ouma Beskuit (Granny Rusks) in a mug of Milo (hot chocolate), imagining my List of Hundred Dreams.

It is, however, my Spanish reverie that calls me. In my dream, I see sun-drenched days, sultry summer nights and unending siestas and feel the pounding of colorful fiestas

Although my Spanish has not improved much since my planning started, I have been practicing diligently and do I vehemently articulate the outlandish sounds of the Spanish alphabet every single day.  With or without linguistic ability though, come hell or high water, I am going to Spain:  "My voy a Espana! pase lo que pase!!"

The preparation for such a trip is sometimes greater than the trip itself.  Getting the paperwork ready is a very tedious task. South Africans are required to apply for a Schengen visa which results in maximum effort. Fortunately, I was blessed with tremendous support from my host in Spain and a travel muse (albeit travel consultant) in Cape Town with excellent advice and assistance. Danielle is certainly one of the most competent travel consultants in this country.  With endless exchanges of emails, she attended to all the finer details of my reservations and at times my erratic hesitations.  She walked many extra miles for her client and should win an award for all the effort she put into this mission: “Bien Hecho!”

With the visa in hand, I can now focus on the loveliness of summer in Spain when I arrive in Vigo, situated in the province of Pontevedra on the North Western coast of Spain. I just love the roll of the Roman Language on my tongue.

Although Vigo is known for its rainy days, my old weathered suitcase is optimistically bulging with summer wear.  I am so looking forward to exchanging my Woollie's winter socks for Celebrity Red toenails and a pair of Shoe City's la chancletas!

Spain is a world on its own.  Cultures differ from region to region and each has its own  customs and cuisine.

Spain is also known for some of the best food in the world.  Three of Spain's restaurants feature in the Top 10 of the world. They are The Celler de Can Roca, the Azador Etxebarri and the Mugarits.   Galicia is well known for the high-quality fresh seafood, especially octopus or pulpo a la Gallega (Galician Octopus).

I cannot wait to experience all the joys of the Northern Spanish coast.  Galicia with its Celtic legacy, mysterious myths, and colorful history will definitely not disappoint.  I know my time spent in Spain will be over in a blink of the eye, but the memories I'll bring back home will last a lifetime, the photos will portrait a time of delight and enjoyment and my dream turned into tremendous reality.

Without any further adieu I wish myself;  “Bon Voyage!”















2 comments:

  1. Preciosos sueños. Nada tan halagador como ayudarte a cumplirlo. Esperemos que Galicia y tu anfitrión no decepcionen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. El anfitrión fue el mejor. El me muesta la belleza real de este maravilloso lugar. Muchas Gracias.

      Delete

Featured post

A WHALE OF A TIME

I was dressed for the occasion and waiting to embark on an exciting adventure. Ready and eager to set sail on a whale and dolphin-watching t...