Friday 27 December 2013

GOING NOWHERE

Day 1   I left Cape Town just before 5 in the morning and traveled 400+ km to a town called George, still in the Western Cape, where I spent the night with family.

George is famous for its timber, ostriches, majestic Outeniqua Mountain and diverse scenic landscapes. Rivers, farmlands, forests and the ocean add to the beauty of this region. George is the 6th oldest town in South Africa and is located in the center of the famous Garden Route.



Aerial view of George


Day 2  I left early for Uniondale.  Had such a lovely stay on a farm called Oskraal. The guided tour on the farm was amazing.  An abundance of history, peace, tranquility and fresh air was shared by Lawton, my host, to whom I owe many thanks..


Oskraal



Uniondale is a quaint little town with lots of character. Of course, it's more famous for its hitch-hiking ghost, Maria Roux.



Maria Roux

Legend has it that during the Easter weekend of 1968, a young couple were traveling on the road near Uniondale, when the boyfriend lost control of the vehicle and the girl was killed.  It was a bitterly cold, stormy night. The girl was asleep on the back seat of the car when the accident occurred.  They were on their way to tell their respective families of their recent engagement.

The first sighting of the ghost was during  Easter weekend in 1976.  It is believed that the ghost (the girl with the long dark hair) hitches a ride and vanishes in the dark a few kilometers further. On more than one occasion she even hitched a ride on a motorbike and disappeared within a few kilometers..








Day 3  Unfortunately I left my laptop at Oskraal and had to turn around to fetch it.  A 10 hour, 1000 km trip turned into a 15 hour, 1400 km journey. I arrived in Sasolburg just after 8 that evening, exhausted, hungry and jittery.

I drove through 5 of our 9 provinces in one day :  Western Cape, Eastern Cape, Northern Cape, Gauteng and Free State.  I once again realized how lucky I am to live in such a beautiful and diverse country. The roads were extremely busy as it was peak holiday season in South Africa.






















Day 4  Regrettably, the 15 hours behind the wheel on my way to Sasolburg, caused my leg to act up again and for the next several days all I could do was rest and recover. It's been 2 years since I last saw Francois (my son) and Dee (his wife) and really treasure my time here with them.



Day 7.. Finally returning to normal again, thanks to Francois' tender love and care to mom's knee.  He is a Master Masseur. Dee, on the other hand, attends to every  need a granny/mom could ever ask for.

But my restless soul needs to be out there and Day 7 seems like the perfect day to hit the road again.  This time I'll be heading to a town called Randfontein where my cousin and her husband are expecting me.  Two lovely people with pieces of gold stuck in their hearts.  Walking down memory lane with family is always a treat.

Randfontein is situated 40+ km west of Johannesburg.  The farm Randfontein was bought by J.B. Robinson in 1889. He started the Randfontein Estates Gold Mining Company which has the largest stamp mill in the world.

Randfontein mostly consists of farms and small holdings and rumors have it that the Kruger Millions were buried on the original farm Robinson bought.  He was a very close friend of President Paul Kruger.


More later..........

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

A WHALE OF A TIME

I was dressed for the occasion and waiting to embark on an exciting adventure. Ready and eager to set sail on a whale and dolphin-watching t...